Monday, March 22, 2010

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

It's kind of funny, how fast you can fall in love with something.

On Sunday, I went on a trip with my Hebrew school to Washington, DC to visit the Holocaust museum. Long drive, out to DC, so I naturally brought my iPod. I tried listening to a few bands my dad had recommended to me a while ago. U2, now my favorite band.

I'm listening to them right now.

Then there's Christopher. Christopher John Francis Boone. He's 15 years, 3 months, and 2 days, he knows all the prime numbers up to 7,057, and he's autistic. A lot of people don't get Christopher. They don't understand why he is the way he is. They don't really take into consideration that he's different from them. At first, I felt a bit bad for Christopher. But later on in the book, I don't feel as bad for him. He's really a great person.

When you're autistic, it's hard for you to be around people. Many parents of autistic children will never actually hug or embrace their child. Autistic people don't really like to be touched. They feel awkward socially, and can become aggressive or violent when some one does something they don't want done to them.

Christopher punched a police officer because he tried to hold his arm. It's sad. Although it's illegal to assault a police officer, the officer didn't know that Christopher was autistic.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty much really liking Christopher. He's the kind of character that I never want to stop reading about. There's always something new to learn. He never gets old.

Just like I never want to stop listening to U2.

This whole experience of falling in love with new things everyday, is getting me excited. I guess I'll never know which book I'll fall in love with next. Or which band I have yet to fall in love with. As U2 says, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for." I guess I'll never really know what I'm looking for to fall in love with.

No comments:

Post a Comment