Monday, March 15, 2010

Glowing

As I read The History of Love by Nicole Krauss, I feel stronger and smarter. My first adult book, and wow, what an amazing place to start my future as an adult reader. Nicole Krauss has so many talents, one is the ability to fit all the pieces of the story together. I move slowly through the book, being it very challenging, and alot to take in. But with me moving through it so carefully, I pick up details that not everyone might notice. This is one of the advantages of a slow reader. Taking your time is nice when reading a book you know you'll want to read again in a few years, and again a few years later, and again, and again.

Along with details, I've picked up some similarities between me and the book. One thing that makes me happier then I will ever be? Finding something about me within a book. And even better, a book I love, and even better, a book I am absolutely in love with. I'm in love, with The History of Love.

To compare the book to my life, I'll start with this: Over February break I met some relatives who live out in LA. The family started with Noreen, who was a Hollywood movie star. She married Lee, a doctor who worked in the Paramount Pictures studio. They fell in love and had Robert, who married and they had Kara who has a boyfriend in New York, and John who's girlfriend lives in LA. Some where along those lines my great grandfather Charlie who was also a doctor came in. And then my grandpa, my dad, who married my mom, and had me, and my two other sisters.

Long story, huh?


In The History of Love, (I won't tell every detail, that could quite possibly take me a year) Leo and Alma fall in love, have Isaac, who is a famous writer, who Alma Singer stumbles apon when looking for his mother Alma who she was named after, and she was the love of Leo who happens to be the other narrator the book. Alma Singer figures out that Isaac is the mysterious Jacob Marcus who sent a letter to her mother asking her to translate The History of Love, but Jacob Marcus is only the character in Isaac's book! So really, when Alma sent off on her search to find the woman she was named after, she really found her son who actually had already found her, and his dad was actually Leo, who wrote a book. And then there's Litvinoff, and Rosa, and Mr. Tong the pigeon, and the chinese take out man, and Bruno, and oh my goodness what am I doing?

See the similarities, huh?

So as it turns out, the feeling of finding something in you, inside a book you're in love with, is not my favorite feeling. My favorite, is when you find a similarity, and then write about it.

Now I'm really glowing.

P.S: My mom's side is a whole other story.

4 comments:

  1. Cool comparison! Kinda confusing though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family sounds a lot like the History of Love. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just left Tomin this same comment: i love it when i see my life overlapping in different ways with fiction. there's something so poetic about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there my favorite coud... I loved your letter, and I love your blog even more glowingly so! You are an amazing writer; this post makes me really want to read that book (wedding present?? some of your fave books??). And what's wrong with your mom's side, huh? I'm going to be watching for a post on that...

    ReplyDelete