Monday, November 23, 2009

Entry Block

This week's reading entry was very hard for me. For some reason, I couldn't find a topic in my book that seemed good for putting into an entry. I wonder if it's because I've already read Twilight, or I already wrote an entry on it. But that's when it hit me. I could write an entry about how hard this week was for me. A perfectly acceptable topic for my entry. While on the train on Sunday, I was thinking of a couple ways that I could connect this writer's block to the story Twilight.

It seems that Stephanie Meyer, never has a dull moment in Twilight. I feel that even though I don't even know if she had writer's block while writing the book, which she probably did, she never lets anyone know. Stephanie Meyer knows what the reader wants. She knows the parts where she needs to put extra description because she knows that we will want extra description. If she gets to a kind of boring topic, she knows how to cover it up. And last, if she gets to a part where we're on the edge of our seat, she knows how to add dialogue or description so that she can give us more, or make us want to read more by giving less.

I admire this skill of Stephanie Meyer, and as a growing and developing writer, I hope to gain this skill. I believe that along with enjoying the book, learning a skill or two from the author is very important.

1 comment:

  1. nicely done, Audrey:) There are some massive debates going on in 709 about Twilight. I'll have to fill you in!

    ReplyDelete