Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Rereading

I love to reread books. I believe that reading means so many different things, but mostly I think it means learning something new every time you read a book. My favorite book in the whole world is "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" By Judy Blume. That book changed my life. I'll never forget discovering it on my mother's book shelf, and me being so curious about it. I'll never forget how when she was finished explaining it to me, I knew that that book was the one. The one book that would be by my side forever. But when I asked my mom if I could read it, she said I was too young. I was 7. I longed to open the pages, those delicate pages that I knew would be the perfect fit. Then in third grade, my class went to our school library. I noticed the book on the shelf. I looked around to see if anyone was looking, and took the book to the counter where I would check it out. The first thing the librarian said to me when she saw that book was, "You need to put that book back, you aren't ready for it." It seemed like everyone was against me. What was so bad about that book? Finally, the summer going into fourth grade, my mom took the book out of her purse. It was a newer copy, a copy that she had bought for me as an end of third grade gift. She knew I was ready. I opened the soft pages that were now mine. I longed to march straight up to that librarian and show her I was ready. I finished the book in a few short days, and when I finished it, I was tempted to flip back to the beginning and read it again. It's been about 4 years since I read "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret." And I would say that I have read it about twice a year since then. Every time I read it, I learn something new. I notice something new. This year when I read it though, it was very special. I was, for the first time, older then Margaret. More mature, a totally different person. I thought of Margaret looking up to me after all those years of me looking up to her.

Now, I am currently reading "Twilight" By Stephanie Meyer. I read this book in the beginning of 6th grade, and I was absolutely obsessed. I was obsessed with the perfect Edward and how when Edward kissed Bella I thought he was kissing me. I went out of my head, the posters of him on my wall became what looked like wallpaper. I almost became so obsessed that I wasn't paying attention to the story, more so how I would "faint" when I saw the name "Edward" on the pages. Now that I have recovered from this insane obsession it seems like a totally different book. I remember how much I hated when I saw the name "Jacob" on the page. But now that I've taken a break from hating him as a character; I want to see more of him. How it almost seemed like I wanted to skip the pages where he showed up. But now I want him to show up. And now I'm not so excited to see Edward because I'm tired of obsessing over him. But who knows, maybe the next time I reread "Twilight" I will want to see Edward and dread seeing the word Jacob" printed on the page. I look forward to rereading books, not just reading them and not just "Twilight" or "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret." I wonder what I will read, or reread next.

5 comments:

  1. Audrey - i continue to be inspired by you. Keep blogging! Love, Meems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an amazing writer, Auds. Keep it going! Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey, this is a great post! I love the idea of Margaret looking up to you...so smart! Also, interesting thoughts about Twilight. I really started to like Jacob when I read New Moon because I feel like he really wanted to know Bella as a person...it seems more real and grounded, albeit not as magical as the Bella/Edward connection. Love that you started a blog!!

    Ms. Robbins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great comments everyone!! Keep checking in with my blog!
    Thanks!
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel so lucky to have been a part of your reading life for two years and plan to reread this blog often!

    ReplyDelete