Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I Love These Guys... But Not As Much As I Love The Packers.

I continue to look up to Tomin as a writer, hopefully he will always be a mentor for me. Something I can never seem to accomplish very well are harsh but wise criticisms. Tomin is constantly my example for a brilliant but tough insight on things. Here is a post we can all relate to, his thoughts about Please Don't Take My Air Jordans by Reg E. Gains. What I loved the most while reading this response was how many times I found my self saying, "I was thinking that exact same thing." And then feeling annoyed and wondering why I didn't have the courage to post something so bold and brave like that on my blog. Good for Tomin for always having the bravery and not having a fear of anything coming out too harsh. If anything, that's what makes his writing stronger. Another note, Tomin also proves that you don't need to write 20 pages to get across a heavy and important message. With a writer like him, you only need 3 paragraphs. Excellent work!


Julia
, I love you with all my heart. I knew she was a smart girl, but I had no idea that she was a gorgeous writer too. Such complexity is packed into the littlest of lines, such flow and easiness (is that a word??) when reading. I remember reading one of her poems and continuing to say, "wow" over and over again. Eventually my sister came over to me and yelled, "Why the heck are you talking to yourself?!" Oh well. Julia wrote a very intense poem, so intense I had to ask her if she wrote it before I even sat down to write this post. She talks about regret, and the tragedy it is not to feel welcome, the things you have to do to be at home, the mistakes you have to make to be rejected. Julia's words hurt, but they are the truth. They are cold and heart breaking. She has a certain feeling of comfort which I love in her voice: that she likes what she is writing and is confident that we will too. I learned a lot from her, and will continue to be inspired by her obvious talent.

Last but not least is Pia. May I first say, it takes a lot to write a wonderful reading response, but her words in general, in a conversation or in a post on other's writing being written well is beautiful. Pia doesn't have to try, it's a natural ability she has- she is a writer. In this post, Pia speaks of the sadness of having a father that's not stepping up to plate, that's not being an actual father. Just like Tomin's post it's quick but smart. It's true and unique. And, Pia makes connections I never would have if I were reading her book. Connections to our evolving as teenagers and our constant need to perfect everything in the world. Pia does something that acknowledges the whole point of the reading response, not only she writing gorgeously, she's making me want to read the book. And wasn't that the whole point from the beginning?

Good job to everyone, I can't wait to read your next piece.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of your writing, Auds. You're such a generous person. xo

    ReplyDelete